Monday, April 09, 2007

Triangulation

I learned an excellent word from PsychLit a few months back: triangulation. It's the concept of inserting a third person into a two-person dispute to get more people involved, garner some support, and swing the momentum a certain way.

It's a concept that everyone knows about, but can't necessarily identify until it has a name. From the earliest childhood squabbles up until...well, death, I suppose....people employ this strategy. If you can get other people to join in, you won't be standing alone, exposed, when you go into battle.

However, once I had a word to decribe the concept and I could recognize it and name it when I see it, I also became acutely aware that I don't want to be associated with it. If you feel strongly enough to take up psychological arms and ride into battle with another human being...good for you. I hope that works out well for you. But if it's not my battle, don't use me as an emotional shield.

So, children...you take your squabble back to your own playground and triangulate amongst yourselves. I don't want to play with you.

No comments: