Thursday, September 20, 2007

Meming, the Verb

I've been sleeping a lot lately (don't ask), so I've fallen behind in my blog reading responsibilities as well as my blog writing responsibilities. However this, posted on CUSS inspired me:

The Book Meme
My beloved blog-friend Suebob tagged me for a meme on books. Hopefully, I will not be too boring.

Total number of books owned:
It's hard to tell. Between Husband and I, we have two overflowing bookcases. Books are also in piles on the floor and stacks on nightstands. Sometimes I think a book volcano erupted in my apartment and buried a small city. I also have two very tall book cases in my old room in my parents' house that are overflowing.

Last book bought:
For my Sept. 9th book club meeting, I bought San Remo Drive by Leslie Epstein on Sept. 6th. Nothing like the last minute, and I had to go to two Barnes & Nobles to find it.

Last book read:
See above. It was a very strange book about Hollywood in the 1950s, HUAC, adolescence, and race and religion based on the author's life. I partly recommend it. Overall, I think I liked it, but it was also kind of fucked up. I think our next book is going to be This Book Will Save Your Life by AM Homes. I'm pretty excited about it. Not that this relates to the question.

Five Books that Mean a Lot to You:
It by Stephen King - this book is a beautiful story about friendship, courage, and growing up when it is not scaring the fucking crap out of you, dear reader
Sport by Louise Fitzhugh - a hilarious tale about family and friendship that I often re-read when I am seeking solace from the world
Backlash by Susan Faludi - I read this when I was a sophomore in high school and it absolutely changed the way I looked at the world and re-affirmed my burgeoning feminist belief system
Take a Nap Harry by Mary Chalmers - a picture book my mom read to me that I loved because I hated naps and my mom read it in the greatest way (sadly it is out of print now)
Savage Inequalities by Jonathon Kozol - another book I read in high school that inspired me to take action to make the world a better place, I was devastated at how the US systemically cheats poor kids

Best Five Books You Read in the Last Year (I wish I can remember what the hell I read over the past 12 months, but I'll do my best):
Winner of the National Book Award by Jincy Willet
Sweet and Low by Rich Cohen
The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead
Strivers Row by Kevin Baker
Random Family by Adrienne Nicole LeBlanc (OK, I didn't actually read the book yet, but I've been meaning to do so for ages...)

I tag:Major Bedhead
Valerie
Urban Pedestrian
Michelle
Ev and Kwatch

Besides the fact that I've completely fucked up the formatting (sorry Suzanne), I, of course, have opinions, comments, and answers. That's what it means to be me.

Books, quantity.
Millions. Billions. Actually, I'm not sure. We have several floor to ceiling bookcases in our house, and 70 more boxes of books in the shed that I would like to put in the house, but I can't imagine where. So when I want a specific book, I go out to the shed and spend a couple of hours crawling around the mountains of boxes until I get distracted by something else and just sit there and read that. It's all good.

Books, 5 Favorites, in no particular order:
I hate you, Suzanne. I just want you to know that in advance. I'm trying to scroll through my head and pick out five, but it's hard and I blame you.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird. by Harper Lee
My all time favorite, bar none. I've read it almost every year since I was a teenager. It's my comfort book; the book I go back to when I'm sick or stressed to the end of my endurance.

2. The Family Tree by Sheri Tepper
Tepper writes sci-fi with a feminist slant. This was about when plants become sentient, and BOY are the pissed off. RoundUp, anyone?

3. The Fresco by Sheri Tepper
Aliens come to earth and they'll only communicate with a working-class book store employee who's in the process of divorcing her alcoholic husband. The Pentagon is outraged that the aliens can't figure out who's important and who isn't.

4. Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
I chose this one, but really they're all wonderful. She is the best ever at drawing you in. I'm always afraid to set them down before I finish because I'm so immersed in the characters, I'm afraid I'll talk like them. And 15th century Doña is not a good sound on me.

5. Mystery Novels by Everyone
I love 'em. Devour 'em like Combos. I hardly care who writes them (except a couple of writers who truly suck raw eggs. You know who you are, lousy writers.).

5 that I've Read This Year.

1. The Kite Runner
2. Running With Scissors.
3. Wicked & Son of a Witch
4.Saving Fish From Drowning
5. Stiff-The Curious Life of Human Cadavers

And now I've got to run or I'll be late for my neurology appointment. And that would be very bad.

However, I'll tag
Carrie,
Robin (you'll have to reply here, but I'll bump you up to Guest Blogger status),
Kwachie,
Aunt B.,
Ursula's Mom

I'll provide the links later, but I have to get into the shower NOW and get to the doctor, before my brain falls out my ear.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Sorry I vexed you so with this, but I'm so glad that you did it. I'm totally going to check out that sheri Tepper stuff. Sounds awesome