Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Book Meme

This is all so sudden and unexpected. I've never been memed before. I was unprepared! I don't have a thing to wear! We love CUSS, and we're terribly flattered to be tagged ...

Total number of books owned:

As Ev said, it's into the thousands. I should know, because I'm the one who packs the boxes when we move. The box count when we moved from Arizona was somewhere around 100 and we've bought a ton of new ones since then. We categorize our bookshelves by hard-bound, paperback, read it and haven't read it yet ... then we subdivide those into categories like reference, politics, lesbiana, biographies, mysteries, general fiction, hobbies and crafts, classics, antique books, sociology, comparative religions, humor ... etc. My books tend to be non-fiction and Ev's tend to be novels.

Last book bought:

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" - Khaled Hosseini. I bought this one two days ago because we both loved The Kite Runner and we've heard glowing reviews of this one.

Five Books that Mean a Lot to You:

1. "Through the Looking Glass - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" - probably the first book that completely belonged to me, and I still love it.

2. "Red Ranger Came Calling" - Berkeley Breathed. Absolutely, hands down, the best Christmas book ever written, with the best illustrations ever drawn. I have to read it every year, and it should really be read aloud to be truly appreciated ... if you can read the last page without choking up. If I had a million dollars, I'd buy a copy of this book for everyone I know.

3. "When God Was a Woman" - Merlin Stone. Prior to this book I was a struggling heterosexual and a backslid Christian. Now I'm a cynical agnostic and a happy, devout lesbian. I'd say it was an influential read.

4. A three book set containing "Soul Mates," "The Care of the Soul," and "The Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life" - Thomas Moore. Three books I go back to over and over again and recommend frequently to other people. Moore is former Jesuit priest who writes about theology, spirituality, mythology, religion, the human soul and all of its relationships. Sounds a whole lot drier than it is.

5. "Winnie The Pooh" - A. A. Milne. There's nothing I don't love about this book. My favorite chapter is the one In Which Eeyore Loses A Tail and Pooh Finds One.

Best Five Books You Read in the Last Year:

1. "The Kite Runner" - Khaled Hosseini

2. "Pope Joan" - Donna Woolfolk Cross

3. "Dry" - Augusten Burroughs

4. "Running With Scissors" - Augusten Burroughs

5. "Schindler's List" - Thomas Keneally


I tag my pal, Cedarflame.

Kwach

2 comments:

Cedar said...

I hate you. And the person I will tag will hate you too.

Suzanne said...

Ah, the third book I now know I must read thanks to Nowhere, IL. And thanks for loving CUSS. I say ditto to that!