Friday, June 29, 2007

Domestic Bliss vs. Obsessive Drive.

Last night Carrie said to me, "Mom, Tyler wants to go to the gym with us in the morning, so don't leave without us."

"Okay", I said.

So this morning, Carrie got home from her run, and went into the bedroom to wake Tyler. Carrie had to go running, btw, because she's one of those people who works out before the workout because the real workout isn't strenuous enough.
If I hadn't gone to all the effort of pushing her and her melon head out of my womb, I'd have to kill her.

I heard her through the bedroom door, trying to wake Tyler in that voice people use when they're trying to get someone to do something good for them...and they're clearly resisting.

"Tyler...time to wake up", she sings cheerfully.
"Muuuuh", says Tyler.
"Come on, T. It's time to go to the gym.", Carrie says, more forcefully.
"Mmmmuuuhh!", says Tyler, more emphatically.

And that's when I lost the thread of the conversation, but they began sounding like Charlie Brown's teachers having a disagreement. Their voices got low and forceful.


"Wa-wa-wa!", says Carrie.
"Wa-wa!, says Tyler. "Wa-wa-wa-wa-wa."
"Wa!", says Carrie, dismissively.

And then she walked back into the living room and said, "Tyler will be going with us tomorrow."

No comments: