Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Last night I stayed up until 3am to finish reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.

The author, Khaled Hosseini, the guy who wrote The Kite Runner, had the oddest, lightest touch I've seen in a long time. He can slip back and forth between stomach-clenching brutality and heartbreaking tenderness in a page without either feeling contrived and make both equally engaging. I think I cried pretty steadily for the last hundred or so pages. But in that good way that you cry when you're plugged into such a mish-mash of emotions that you don't feel emotionally manipulated, you feel lucky to be peeking into this world.

Khaled Hosseini? I love this man. If I weren't a middle-aged midwestern lesbian I'd go to California and sleep on his lawn in a tent and hold up a big sign declaring my undying love for him, until the police hauled me away and charged me with stalking him.

I'm sort of at a loss here. I so much loved this book (and The Kite Runner, too) that I would love to talk about it. But Lori hasn't read it yet. So I'll just say...do yourself a tremendous favor. Buy this book, then come back and tell me about how much you loved it and how much you love me for telling you to read it.

No comments: