Thursday, August 16, 2007

This Is Your Brain On Epilepsy


There is a phenomenon that happens with temporal lobe epilepsy in which some internal wiring gets crossed and your brain makes connections between unrelated things. When I'm having trouble controlling my seizures, one of the warning signs is that kind of cross-wiring. There's a name for it, but I've long since forgotten it and now call it ninja vu.

So lately, I've been experiencing some ninja vu, and it makes me more cautious in conversation. Remember your brain on acid? When you thought you finally understood the secrets of the universe because you could see the mathematical equation that created your cat?

That's ninja vu.

Luckily, it's not as relentless as acid was. It would be hard to do my job with my brain operating like this:

"Red cells greater than 7 microns get a numerical value of 5, while those smaller than 7 microns are 3. Then if neutrophils get 10 points each; lymphs 20; monocytes 50; and basophils and eosinophils each get 25, I should get a numerical value for each diff that relates to the age and relative health of the patient."

And though it does indeed generate a number, it's a number that is completely meaningless. But it's carefully derived drivel. And that's the problem with ninja vu...you feel like you're doing some excellent, insightful thinking, when actually you're just tying things together in odd combinations. It's not like MacGyver; A nail, a shoe, a chocolate bar, and a raisin will not combine to create a small incendiary device.

Which is all well and good, except that I've forgotten the actual point of my post. So here's a picture of Carrie's new kitten and Cuppy.



No comments: